Dr. Frei attended medical school at the University of Cincinnati. He completed his Diagnostic Radiology Residency at Tulane University Medical Center. He then completed both Diagnostic Neuroradiology and Interventional Neuroradiology fellowships at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology in St. Louis, Missouri.
Currently, as a member of Radiology Imaging Associates, Dr. Frei performs minimally invasive Interventional Neuroradiology procedures, including acute catheter directed stroke intervention, angioplasty/stent revascularization of cerebrovascular stenosis and minimally invasive treatment of cerebral aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations. Dr. Frei, as a member of the CNI Stroke Council, is working towards establishing state-of-the-art diagnosis and management strategies in treating patients with acute stroke. Dr. Frei is a senior member of the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology and the American Society of Neuroradiology.
- Neuro Interventional Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
University of Cincinnati
College of Medicine
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Lukes Medical Center
Tulane University Medical Center
New Orleans, Louisiana
Neuroradiology/Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
Barnes Hospital, Washington University
St. Louis, Missouri
Director, Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
Texas Neuroradiology, PA, Presbyterian Hospital
- American board of Radiology 1994
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Neuroradiology 1996
- Member, Colorado Stroke Council
Areas of Interest
- Endovascular Treatment of Acute Stroke
- Endovascular Treatment of Aneurysms Intracranial
- Extracranial Revascularization Techniques
Publications & Presentations
- The FDA approval process for medical devices: an inherently flawed system or a valuable pathway for innovation? Accepted for publication, JNIS, 2012 May. Fargen KM, Frei D, et al.
- Endovascular therapy of acute ischemic stroke: report of the Standards of Practice Committee of the Society of NeuroInterventional surgery. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012 Mar 1;4(2):87-93. Epub 2012 Jan. 24. Blackham KA, Frei D et al.
- The Penumbra Stroke System: a technical review. J NeuroIntervent Surg 2011. doi:10.1136/neurintsurg-2011-010080, Yoo AJ, Frei D, Tateshima S, et al
- Styloidogenic Jugular Venous Compression Syndrome: Diagnosis and Treatment. Neurosurgery. 2011 Aug 19. [Epub ahead of print Dashti SR, Nakaji P, Hu YC, Frei DF, Abla AA, Yao T, Fiorella D
- The POST trial: initial post-market experience of the Penumbra system: revascularization of large vessel occlusion in acute ischemic stroke in U.S. and Europe J NeuroIntervent Surg 2010. 2:341e344. doi:10.1136/jnis.2010.002600, Tarr R, Frei D, et al
- Multimodal imaging does not delay intravenous thrombolytic therapy in acute stroke. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011 May;32(5):864-8. Epub 2011 Feb 10. Salottolo KM, Fanale CV, Leonard KA, Frei DF, Bar-Or D.
- Predictors of Good Clinical Outcomes, Mortality, and Successful Revascularization in Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke Undergoing Thrombectomy Pooled Analysis... , Stroke. 2009. 40:3777-3783, Nogeira R, Frei D, et al
- The Penumbra Pivotal Stroke Trial Safety and Effectiveness of a New Generation of Mechanical Devices for Clot Removal in Intracranial Large Vessel Occlusive Disease Stroke. 2009. 40:2761-2768, Tarr R, Frei D, et al
- Comparison of Mechanical Embolectomy and Intraarterial Thrombolysis in Acute Ischemic Stroke within the MCA: MERCI and Multi MERCI compared to PROACT II, Neurocrit Care 2009. 10:43–49, Josephson S, Frei D, et al
- Demonstration and Partial Characterization of Parasite-Specific Immunoglobulin A Responses in Human Strongyloidiasis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 25: 1505-1510, 1987. Robert M Genta MD, Donald F Frei MD, Michael Linke
All Radiologist Specialties